RARA-AVIS: Re: Auster as on-topic

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 21 Jan 2009

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Juri Nummelin"
    <juri.nummelin@...> wrote:

    > I think that at least books like CITY OF GLASS, GHOSTS and THE
    LOCKED ROOM
    > should be included as on-topic in Rara-Avis. And of course his
    pseudonymous
    > SQUEEZE PLAY.
    >
    > (On a Western list, one might also discuss MOON PALACE.)

    My comment was not about his being on topic but about his inclusion in a "best of crime literature" list. In my opinion he does not cut the mustard for best of crime literature. Too many guys have written crime fiction, too many excellent writers. Take old Thomas Dewey, whose novel Every Bet's a Sure Thing I reread in one sitting... that is an excellent crime novel, an enduring one. Dewey may be a forgotten figure and Auster a very present one, but for crime fiction, I take Dewey. And Prather, too, of course. The pulse of a popular genre is a delicate thing, it's like a literary jazz. Either an author has it or he doesn't have it.

    This brings up the question: is any book where there are crimes crime fiction? What do we mean by crime fiction?

    Best,

    mrt