RARA-AVIS: Re: Sad news for Londoners

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 20 Jan 2009

    I wouldn't declare the small independent bookstore dead yet. We are shifting paradigms and wait until the price of oil (therefore, of transportation and shipping) goes through the roof, as it will, and life will be more about staying where you are and doing business where you are. Many malls will be abandoned as the unsustainable lifestyle starts disappearing. Many malls are dying already, and the spaces won't be filled. People will still read and buy books, probably cheaper ones than the ones being sold today...

    What I'm trying to say is that there will be opportunities given the changes that we will see in the next several years.

    It's sad to see a bookstore go. They are gathering places, among other things.

    Best,

    mrt