Re: RARA-AVIS: Edgar Nominations

From: davezeltserman (davezelt@rcn.com)
Date: 16 Jan 2009

    Thanks for the encouragement, Nathan. The book was submitted, but the Edgar people will have another shot next year with Pariah, which to be honest is a huge leap from Small Crimes.

    Something kind of cool is that Barnes and Noble have put the following review on their mystery book page:

    "The Washington Post recently compared Zeltserman to the legendary James M. Cain, saying, "The plot of Small Crimes is a thing of beauty: spare but ingeniously twisted and imbued with a glossy coating of black humor." Well, we'll one-up that and state here that Small Crimes, the tale of a small-town cop going from corrupt to categorically criminal, is better than Cain's best."

    I don't necessarily agree with that, but since they've put that online the book has become a crime fiction bestseller there.

    --Dave

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Nathan Cain <IndieCrime@...> wrote:

    > Okay, why is Small Crimes not nominated in the PBO category? Was it
    > not submitted? Did it come out too late? Or do the readers have rocks
    > in their heads?
    >

    > On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 1:06 PM, Sandra Ruttan <sandraruttan@...> wrote:
    > > The Rap Sheet has the complete list of Edgar Nominees at
    > > http://therapsheet.blogspot.com/2009/01/edgar-show-your-stuff.html
    > >
    > > Best Novel
    > > • Missing, by Karin Alvtegen (Felony & Mayhem Press)
    > > • Blue Heaven, by C.J. Box (St. Martin's Minotaur)
    > > • Sins of the Assassin, by Robert Ferrigno (Scribner)
    > > • The Price of Blood, by Declan Hughes (Morrow)
    > > • The Night Following, by Morag Joss (Delacorte Press)
    > > • Curse of the Spellmans, by Lisa Lutz (Simon & Schuster)
    > >
    > > Best First Novel by an American Author
    > > • The Kind One, by Tom Epperson (Five Star)
    > > • Sweetsmoke, by David Fuller (Hyperion)
    > > • The Foreigner, by Francie Lin (Picador)
    > > • Calumet City, by Charlie Newton (Touchstone)
    > > • A Cure for Night, by Justin Peacock (Doubleday)
    > >
    > > Best Paperback Original
    > > • The Prince of Bagram Prison, by Alex Carr (Random House Trade)
    > > • Money Shot, by Christa Faust (Hard Case Crime)
    > > • Enemy Combatant, by Ed Gaffney (Dell)
    > > • China Lake, by Meg Gardiner (Obsidian Mysteries)
    > > • The Cold Spot, by Tom Piccirilli (Bantam)
    > >
    > > Best Short Story
    > > • "A Sleep Not Unlike Death," by Sean Chercover (from Hardcore
    > > Hardboiled, edited by Todd Robinson; Kensington Publishing)
    > > • "Skin and Bones," by David Edgerley Gate (Alfred Hitchcock Mystery
    > > Magazine, October 2008)
    > > • "Scratch of a Woman," by Laura Lippman (from Hardly Knew Her;
    Morrow)