Re: RARA-AVIS: 42 Days to Murder

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 13 Jan 2009

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "J.C. Hocking" <jchocking@...> wrote:

    > The reply to your blog entry seems pretty much on the money to me.
    > Torrey's strengths are�conversational,�hardboiled, and surprisingly
    convincing, first person narration, and a terse, wicked way with violent action.
    > I read 42 Days For Murder 20 years ago, but there's a couple scenes
    (including one involving an ashtray used as a weapon) that are as bright in my memory as if I'd read them yesterday.
    > �

    I've read a bunch of Torrey stories in anthologies, and they're usually among the first ones I read. He pushes things along nicely. Was he a great philosopher? I doubt it. But he could tell an exciting story. Another good one was Lester Dent, hard-working guy with a colorful prose.

    Best,

    mrt