Re: RARA-AVIS: The Hard-Boiled Classics

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 10 Jan 2009

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, DJ-Anonyme@... wrote:

    > Mark wrote:
    >
    > "As far as I can tell, however, no Hammett character appears in more
    > than one book, . . ."
    >
    > Well, actually, the Continental Op is in two, The Dain Curse and Red
    > Harvest, three if you include Big Knockover. That said, I don't think
    > it's necessary to read them in order, and I'm kind of anal about that
    > kind of thing.

    Aren't you thinking of Blood Money? I like this "novel" made up of two stories, very pulpy, Paddy the Mex in fine form, Dick Foley, great stuff. I actually have held in my hands an early (probably first) edition of the two stories of Blood Money as a novel, from the thirties, I think. A university library had it. The paper was yellowed, pulpy. It looked like a cheap edition.

    Best,

    mrt