Re: RARA-AVIS: Piccirilli (was: Re: Jack O'Connell's top 10 books of 2008)

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 09 Jan 2009

    sonny asked:

    "in what way is 'cold spot' part of a series?"

    In every way. It's the first book of a projected series, not a standalone that is being turned into one (not to say the book isn't complete in itself). At the beginning, Chase is a getaway driver, raised to be one from a young age by his professional criminal, and crew leader, grandfather. The book goes on to chronicle several years in Chase's life, including a period where he goes (mostly) straight. I don't think it's giving anything away to say circumstances eventually pull him back into the life.

    The book's opening line is worthy of a Parker novel, and I do not use that high praise lightly: "Chase was laughing with the others during the poker game when his grandfather threw down the cards, took a deep pull on his beer, and with no expression at all shot Walcroft in the head."

    I'm really looking forward to the second, out next month.

    Mark