RARA-AVIS: The Noir of which we speak ... SMALL CRIMES,

From: Jack Bludis (buildsnburns@yahoo.com)
Date: 09 Jan 2009

    May Donald Westlake rest in peace, in spite of his dis of noir.
    ----- Since the subject as raised its sleepy head again, I thought it might be a good time to mention a bit of pure noir that I read lately.

    Dave Zeltserman's SMALL CRIMES fits two of the three definitions of noir that I know about:

    Eddie Muller's, (paraphrased) "It starts out bad and gets worse."

    Mine, the protag is certainly "screwed" from the beginning.

    And it almost fits Jim Doherty's "Dark and sinister."

    The one difference from most noir is that in this book, at least to me, we see man who tries to do the right thing from the beginning--but he is still screwed.

    Opinions on this? I note that some others here have mentioned the book.

    If someone else has mentioned this aspect, I apologize, but I am several days behind in reading my digests.

    Jack Bludis

    A writing career, like life, is a journey not a destination.