Re: RARA-AVIS: Salt River by James Sallis

From: Brian Thornton (bthorntonwriter@gmail.com)
Date: 08 Jan 2009

    I happen to agree with you about Faulkner. I think like Hemingway, when he's on (AS I LAY DYING, THE SOUND AND THE FURY, "Barn Burning"), he's really on. My father introduced me to him (he's from Arkansas originally, and we've joked back and forth about the pronunciation of "Yoknapatawpha" for years).

    Have you ever read the "crime fiction" shorts Faulkner wrote such as
    "Knight's Gambit" and "Smoke"? REALLY good stuff. They were collected in paperback a few years back.

    And like I said, the reference to Baker's work was intended as a joke. I looked up "derivative" in the dictionary, and saw his picture next to it.

    Brian