Re: RARA-AVIS: Salt River by James Sallis

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 08 Jan 2009

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Thornton"
    <bthorntonwriter@...> wrote:

    > Oh, and Mario, if you like stuff that's slow moving and only gives you
    > information in small doses, have you read Nicholson Baker's THE
    MEZZANINE?
    > It's a novel about an office worker's ride up an escalator.
    >
    > One ride.
    >
    > Hundreds of pages.
    >
    > I kid. Seriously, reading that thing was like watching paint dry.

    I was referring basically to the Faulkner style (I think he invented it), not to excruciating slowness per se. It depends on content, of course, on the story (if there is one). I prefer novels with a story. In that respect, Sallis is a traditional storyteller. As to Baker, my experience with a different novel (The Fermata) was not satisfactory. To be frank, I found it silly. Maybe it's great for ardent admirers of the writer.

    Best,

    mrt