RARA-AVIS: Re: Urban Fiction

From: Gonzalo Baeza (gbaeza@gmail.com)
Date: 07 Jan 2009

    It seems to me the phenomenon is predominantly black. Rodriguez's Devil's Mambo was marketed as a conventional crime fiction novel and, in any event, I don't think there are enough authors from other ethnic groups deliberately writing "ethnic genre fiction." Likewise, they are not being marketed as such nor they have their own section at Borders and other bookstores like "urban fiction" does.

    Based on what I've seen -titles like "Gangsta 4 Life" and authors like "Thugalicious," not to mention the covers and overall presentation- I'm not really impressed. Nonetheless, if these books are being read by someone, especially an untapped market, I think it's a welcome development.

    -Gonzalo.

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "jacquesdebierue"