Re: RARA-AVIS: Westlake on Noir and Hard-Boiled

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 06 Jan 2009

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Moore" <moorich@...> wrote:

    > This reminds me of the old vaudeville bit that Abbott & Costello had a
    > go at several times in both movies and television.

    Apropos, considering the great routines that Westlake gave Dortmunder, Andy Kelp, Tiny Bulcher, Murch's Mom and the rest, I would bet money he was pretty fond of old vaudeville. In Westlake's case, the routines are delivered by characters who have no sense of humor themselves, a great touch. I remember a couple of sensational routines in Drowned Hopes, one of my favorite capers.

    Best,

    mrt