RARA-AVIS: Re: Donald Westlake and the origin of Parker

From: Richard Moore (moorich@aol.com)
Date: 06 Jan 2009

    Yes, Anderson is undeservedly overlooked these days but there were many other influences on Hemingway. Beyond the ones mentioned are two unlikely mentors--Owen Wister, author of THE VIRGINIAN, and Edwin Balmer, long time editor at Red Book and co-author of WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE.

    Richard Moore

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Thornton"
    <bthorntonwriter@...> wrote:

    > On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 10:26 AM, ciocc999 <ciocc999@...> wrote:
    >

    > > sherwood anderson. hemmingway owes everything to him.
    > >

    > No question that Anderson had a tremendous impact on Hemingway, but I'd
    > hardly say that Hemingway owes "everything" to him. Don't forget Ring
    > Lardner, Dos Passos, Gertrude Stein, *The Kansas City Star's *reporter's
    > style book, Fitzgerald, and of course, that editor of editors, Max
    Perkins