RARA-AVIS: Westlake on Noir and Hard-Boiled

From: John Armstrong (pachuco@telus.net)
Date: 06 Jan 2009

    *PK:* Your Parker novels were once called “hard-boiled”, but are now sometimes called “noir”. Do these two terms mean the same, in your view? Are they terms you’d use?

    *DW:* I think hard-boiled and noir are both a little past their sell-by date, and both really refer to the post-war 40s. Hard-boiled is what the vets brought back with them, and noir is the world they found when they got home. I think hard-boiled is still possible, but noir today is another word for artsy.