RARA-AVIS: Re: Donald E. Westlake, Mystery Writer, Is Dead at 75 (NYT obituary

From: Richard Moore (moorich@aol.com)
Date: 06 Jan 2009

    I had not heard about Hillary Waugh's death. Thanks for the link to the obit. He was very active in the MWA when I used to travel to NYC for the Edgar Awards functions and for a time we shared the same agent and I met him at her office. Rest her soul, our shared agent was the one who told her client Tony Hillerman that his first Navaho novel would never sell and she refused to submit it to publishers.

    Waugh was a bullet-headed fellow who seemed very trim and athletic for a fellow in his 1960s. Now that I am in my 60s, I understand how difficult it is to achieve that even with a background as a college boxer.

    He was very early working in and developing the police procedural and I enjoyed those I read, although little about them sticks in my memory. He reminded me of Ben Benson, a solid pro often using rural backgrounds for his novels.

    Richard Moore

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "jacquesdebierue"