RARA-AVIS: Re: Donald Westlake and the origin of Parker

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 05 Jan 2009

    Richard, thanks for posting this. In a double interview he did with Elmore Leonard, both of them knock Chandler pretty heavily, and (if I remember correctly) they aren't crazy about Hammett, either. I am sure that they both said that Chandler's sentences suck.

    It's interesting that none of these two major crime writers are associated with the classic hardboiled mystery writers or with the PI tradition.

    Now, how many times has the PI gotten killed? No wonder they make him so durable.

    Best,

    mrt