RARA-AVIS: Re: Westlake

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 05 Jan 2009

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "foxbrick" <foxbrick@...> wrote:

    > Or his rage was either Deeply Coded, or very misplaced, or both.
    > I'm afraid that I took the initial bit of hostility to be very
    > serious, indeed...it ain't BIRTH OF A NATION (or even, say, Robert
    > Heinlein's FARNHAM'S FREEHOLD or PD James's THE CHILDREN OF MEN),
    > but it ain't the rational observation of his characters' plight that
    > I expect, and otherwise always got, from Westlake, either.

    I'd have to reread it to reassess the seriousness... it is true that Westlake usually stayed out of it, didn't meddle, but perhaps this is deliberate injected opinion and not a simple backdrop. Speaking of P.D. James, that's an author I'm allergic to... she affects me physically. Few authors have that effect on me.

    Best,

    mrt