RARA-AVIS: Westlake? story ID request

From: foxbrick (foxbrick@yahoo.com)
Date: 05 Jan 2009

    [I suspect she might've read this in COSMPOLITAN or PLAYGIRL as well. TM]

    Speaking of Donald Westlake, maybe the great brain can help me track this elusive fiction down...

    Years ago (mid 70's?) I was reading a woman's magazine, e.g., Good Housekeeping or Redbook. There was either a novella or excerpted novel. Long and short: the heroine is engaged, and supposed to be meeting her fiance's family. She's in NYC, they're on the left coast. She and the fiance are supposed to fly out there together. She's ambivalent, then says she'll catch a later flight. After he departs, she exits the terminal and gets into a cab. The cabbie asks "Where to?" Barely missing a beat, she asks him if he could drive her to California. (DUH!) They agree on a fee, then set off on a major road trip. I don't want to reveal any spoilers for those who haven't read the story - assuming that anyone in the world (other than me) has ever heard of it.

    All help welcome - I'd love to re-read this!

    TIA

    Binnie Syril Braunstein