RARA-AVIS: Re: Donald E. Westlake, Mystery Writer, Is Dead at 75 (NYT obituary

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 04 Jan 2009

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, blumenidiot <blumenidiot@...> wrote:

    > I've read almost all Westlake published as by him, Coe or Stark or
    Holt , at least. I don't remember my reason, but I wasn't crazy about HUMANS.
    > Mark

    I find it one of his most intriguing books -- and also one of the most complex. He explains that he wrote it at the suggestion of Evan Hunter while staying with the latter in Taormina. Hunter suggested that Westlake write something unlike anything else he had done before. I think the technical ingenuity in this book is remarkable. I suspect that this one was not easy to write.

    What a string of recent losses: Evan Hunter, James Crumley, Toni Hillerman, and now Westlake...

    Best,

    mrt