RARA-AVIS: Re: American Mercury

From: Richard Moore (moorich@aol.com)
Date: 03 Jan 2009

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "foxbrick" <foxbrick@...> wrote:

    >EQMM lay claim to the BLACK MASK title in the '70s as a
    > result of this kinship of sorts, and of course has recently
    > reintroduced the BLACK MASK title as a running department/story-per-
    > issue umbrella. (EQMM editor Fred Dannay not only kept Hammett
    > before the public eye in the lean years, but also enjoyed reprinting
    > a story or two by James M. Cain from AMERICAN MERCURY.)
    >
    > Todd Mason

    No, no. This is not correct. EQMM did not "lay claim" to Black Mask in the 1970s as a result of the "kinship of sorts" derived from the common H.L. Mencken heritage. EQMM obtained the rights to Black Mask in the early 1950s when Popular folded the magazine. It was included throughout much of the 1950s and well into the 1960s on the masthead and as a part of the magazine. The current owner of the Black Mask imprint purchased it from EQ years ago and the new arrangement is just that--a new deal in all respects.

    I've written of this before and pinpointed the issues of EQ of the transitions but am not sure if it was on this list or in some other forum. And, frankly, it is too late tonight to track it all down but I did want to provide a timely correction.

    Richard Moore