RARA-AVIS: American Mercury

From: Tim Wohlforth (timwohlforth@opendoor.com)
Date: 02 Jan 2009

    Just a personal note on Mercury Books. These were published by the American Mercury, a literary magazine founded in 1924 by H.L. Mencken. They were by no means just crime novels. I possess a novel Divide By Two written by my mother under the name of Mildred Gilman. It was originally published in hardcover by Harcourt Brace. The Mercury version came out in 1940. All Mercury Books sold for 25 cents. The blurb on the back lists books by Sinclair Lewis, C.S. Forester , John Steinbeck, and Daphne Du Maurier.

    Tim Wohlforth