RARA-AVIS: Mercury Mystery

From: ejgorman99@aol.com
Date: 31 Dec 2008

 I recently ran across some Mercury Mysteries by Woolrich, Richard Powell and others, but I can't seem to find out much about this particular line of digests. They look like Reader's Digest condensed versions of mystery novels. Is that impression correct? They seem to be fairly rare. Does anyone collect these?

------------

Here's some background with covers.

http://www.philsp.com/mags/mercury_mystery_book.html

http://www.philsp.com/data/data207.html

Mercury Mystery-Book Magazine

Total Issues: 23

Numbering began from #210. It was a continuation of the Mercury Mystery novels, published in digest form since Mar-1940.

Issues & Index Sources
  Sep-1955 – Apr-1959: Monthly Murders Crime Fiction Index (in progress)

#merges with Bestseller Mystery Magazine

Publishers
   Mercury Publications

Editors
   Joseph W. Ferman

Formats
   digest

Prices
   35c

Pagecounts
   128pp

Frequency
   Sep-1955 – May-1956: monthly
   Jun-1956 – Apr-1959: bi-monthly

Sources
   UltGuide, CookMDE Issue Checklist

Mercury Mystery Book Magazine (Australia)

Total Issues: 6 (at least)

Australian reprint edition of Mercury Mystery Book Magazine. Issues & Index Sources:  Mar-1956 – ?: Crime Fiction Index (in progress)
 (Missing: #2, any after #6) Publishers:   Atlas Publishers, Melbourne

************** New year...new news. Be the first to know what is making headlines. (http://www.aol.com/?ncid=emlcntaolcom00000026)