RARA-AVIS: Re: "Pulp" is the new "noir" and "urban" is the new "black"

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 31 Dec 2008

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Burton Smith <kvnsmith@...> wrote:

    > I'm also getting pretty fed up with "urban" and "street," both now
    > often used as a euphemism for black, mostly because it seems to be a
    > catch-all phrase to excuse some of the most insulting, pandering grade-
    > Z old school racial stereotypes imaginable -- the sort of stuff most
    > non-black authors would never get away with.
    >
    > Or am I imagining it?

    I suspect political correctness is on its way out. The urban and street stuff is part of the language of commerce (music business, primarily). The songs that the urbans and the streets sing contain the real thing, languagewise, so the deception, if any, is short-lived or limited to deaf people.

    Best,

    mrt