Re: RARA-AVIS: Re:Rare Books:Miss Doll:Thomas Dewey

From: J.C. Hocking (jchocking@yahoo.com)
Date: 28 Dec 2008

    Bill Pronzini has consistently championed Dewey's work. He put strong reviews of three Dewey novels into 1001 MIDNIGHTS, including an impassioned one of A SAD SONG SINGING in which he calls the book "one of the ten best private eye novels ever written".
      John

    From: jacquesdebierue <jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com> Subject: RARA-AVIS: Re:Rare Books: Miss Doll, Go Home To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Date: Sunday, December 28, 2008, 4:33 PM

    --- In rara-avis-l@ yahoogroups. com, "Dick Lochte" <dlochte@... > wrote:

    > Re beatniks in p.i. novels:
    >
    > Ross Macdonald's The Zebra-Striped Hearse
    > Thomas B. Dewey's A Sad Song Singing.
    >
    > The latter is not one of Dewey's best, though it gives a pretty
    realistic
    > portrait of the times. In his later career, Dewey seemed to shift a
    little
    > from his Hammett-inspired lean, objective writing, dipping into
    > sentimentality, as he does here. Still, it's well worth reading. Dewey
    > remains among the most underappreciated of the followers of Hammett.

    Also, totally out of print. I like Dewey and I don't find him inferior to Ross Macdonald. I don't know that Dewey ever had a champion among reviewers, maybe that's the problem.

    Best,

    mrt