RARA-AVIS: Re: Short film based on Jim Thompson's Forever After

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 26 Dec 2008

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "davezeltserman" <davezelt@...> wrote:

    > My own private Purgatory would probably be having to watch this film
    > over and over again for all eternity. I guess after the self-esteem
    > movement in the school systems over the last 20+ years, we now live in
    > an era of diminished expectations where good becomes "near genius" and
    > an amateuristic and poorly executed adaptation of a near perfect short
    > story becomes an "excellent effort" (among other things, why reveal
    > the story's denouement at the end of act two??).

    Dave, those of us who deal with young people try to develop an eye for talent, for any kind of originality, however manifested. Genius is something different, of course, it is rare. You are thinking that this guy spoiled the story. Thompson is more important to you than this guy's work. To me, the film is more interesting (at least, when I'm watching it). The story is still there for me to read and enjoy.

    Best,

    mrt