RARA-AVIS: Mr Clarinet

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 17 Dec 2008

    Picked this up the other day, mainly because of recommendations here. I'm sure I'll find out when I read it, but is the title drawn from the Birthday Party (actually, I guess it was recorded when they were still the Boys Next Door) song? If so, I guess that signals a bit of a generational shift from all of the Stones titles Rankin uses. Of course, it's still not that contemporary; Birthday Party split up decades ago. And Dylan's Death is Not the End, another Rankin title, was recorded almost an decade after it, and later covered by Birthday Party alumnus Nick Cave (with Kylie Minogue, of all people).

    Mark