Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: "Pulp" broadcasts on BBC7

From: gsp.schoo@MOT.com
Date: 16 Dec 2008

    Yes, it is a Wikipedia World. The validity of a central, unifying truth is increasingly challenged as popular education expands and more people have access to the input end of the media. Meanwhile, small groups such as RA establish themselves as keepers of the faith in whatever spheres of knowledge appeal to them, girding themselves for battle with alternative beliefs.

    The PI, that eternal seeker, is overwhelmed. How much of what she remembers actually happened, and how much was agreed wisdom? Is there anything to be gained by revisiting and revising old, cold cases? She rummages her desk for her bottomless bottle of bourbon, and wonders what Wikipedia pays its editors.

    Just got back from Las Vegas, my first trip, and I'm wondering, given the current financial news, if maybe it won't be my only trip there. So many construction cranes, but I didn't see any of them moving. Maybe it was the wind. Maybe it was the weekend. Maybe, Christmas carols pumped into every concrete corner, it was just the off season.

    Christmas as surreality's off season, or the end of surreality as I almost got to know it? That's my dilemma but I'm home, tired and broke, and first thing there's an RA email lamenting that some authoritative source got some bit of info wrong and I wanted you all to know that it's good to be back on familiar, noir terra firma.

    Best, Kerry

    BTW- I took an unexpected Ripley "Angel" book with me (thought that funny-as-hell series ended long ago) that is not even close to hardboil or noir, but it doesn't matter because there's no place in LV to sit down and only horses read standing up (pretty sure I saw that on Wikipedia.)