RARA-AVIS: Errors and such

From: Juri Nummelin (juri.nummelin@pp.inet.fi)
Date: 13 Dec 2008

    Thanks, Jim, for your comments. It seems, though, that the things you mention are ones a Finnish reader just can't know. Ranks in LAPD? Intersection of two streets in Los Angeles? So we are only left with a place that's said to be almost impossible to get into and then there just are some kids playing. (Well, kids are smaller than grown-ups and could possibly get there easier than Bosch or others.)

    I've come lately to think that the whole question on improbalities, implausibilities and impossibilities is a question of different types of temper. Some people care for those (like my dad, who's at times almost maniacally obsessive about errors) and errors and others can ruin the reading/viewing experience for them. As for myself, I notice them and can rave about a person in a book or film behaving against his/her character in important plot points, but I'm willing to give books/movies some slack. And there are people who just don't notice these kinds of things and even if they do (or if they are told about them), they shrug and say: "I didn't think of it that way."

    Sorry, if I seem a bit unfocused - I'm heavily hungover at the moment.

    Juri