RARA-AVIS: Re: Vian and America

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 10 Dec 2008

    I would say that "cultures", taken as a whole, usually hate most other cultures. This seems to be true from the macro (countries, even races, religions) to the micro level (towns and even villages). However, nothing functions as a whole. If you are an American and you treat a concrete French person as part of a whole (that you don't even know very well or perhaps at all), the sophistry is evident. Individuals don't tend to act like that, in my experience. This is recognized even in clichés like the antisemitic guy rushing to reassure his audience that he has many Jewish friends. What he hopes to avoid is the accusation of sophistry. That means he recognizes the sophistry.

    How did we get here? Ah, Boris Vian. Didn't really click with me, though I have not read enough to make a well founded judgment. Of the French-language crime writers I know, I like Malet a lot, as well as the great Manchette and of course Simenon. I never tire of Simenon.

    Best,

    mrt