RARA-AVIS: Re: Ellroy's Black Dahlia

From: cptpipes2000 (cptpipes@hotmail.com)
Date: 09 Dec 2008

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, <funkmasterj@...> wrote:
    > I didn't notice the prose being unusual, I take it his "telepathic" style came later? Is any of
    > his other writing more hard boiled?

    Thanks for your comments on Black Dahlia. It is great to hear from someone encountering it for the first time.

    It was in L.A. Confidential that Ellroy's clipped, stripped-down style debuted.

    Ellroy was among the first hardboiled writers I read and I am completely in the tank for him, but I can admit that this clipped style works better in some books than others.

    Thanks again.

    Chris