Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Favorite 2008 Books?

From: Sean Shapiro (ssshapir@yahoo.com)
Date: 07 Dec 2008

    Two favourites that haven't been mentioned:

    The Past Is Another Country -- Giovanni Carafiglio

    A noir tale of complicity and misguided friendship. The emotions and behaviour of the characters ring true -- especially the darker compulsions. Hardback was out last year but PB is due out in 08/09.

    The Dead All Have The Same Skin - Boris Vian

    Written in the 40's but translated and published recently by Tam Tam Books.

    Here is a review by James Sallis: http://www.latimes.com/features/printedition/books/la-bk-sallis4-2008may04,0,7707022.story

    He says it better than I could.

    Oh and, though it's been mentioned a lot -- Small Crimes gets my nod.

    Sean Shapiro

    ________________________________ From: Jack Quick <jquick5342@yahoo.com> To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Sent: Saturday, December 6, 2008 12:35:29 PM Subject: RARA-AVIS: Re: Favorite 2008 Books?

    --- In rara-avis-l@ yahoogroups. com, "Mark D. Nevins" <nevins_mark@ ...> wrote:

    > Thanks for the great mini-reviews, Jack.
    >
    > Quick question: Is HIT AND RUN a novel or a collection?

    HIT AND RUN is a novel. Here is the full writeup I did for www.bookbitch. com

    HIT AND RUN by Lawrence Block: Keller is like most of us. He has a job that he works at in order to pay his bills, feed his hobby (stamp collecting) and hopefully prepare for his eventual retirement. The major difference is Keller's a hit man. After all these years and many successful assignments he is now ready to begin that retirement, but there is just one more job. Keller really doesn't want to go to Des Moines for the job but it has been paid for so what else can he do? After all, there are no refunds in this business. While he is in Des Moines looking at additions to his stamp collection, someone kills the charismatic governor of Ohio. Normally this would have little impact on Keller – except the police have released a picture of the alleged killer. Guess who? Now Keller is stranded in Des Moines, cut off from his associate Dot in White Plains, New York, every cop in America's just seen his picture, his ID and credit cards are no longer good, and he just spent almost all of his cash on the stamps. The best Keller yet.

    <*> Your email settings:
        Individual Email | Traditional

    <*> To change settings online go to:
        (Yahoo! ID required)