RE: RARA-AVIS: favorite books of 2008

From: Ron Clinton (clinton65@comcast.net)
Date: 04 Dec 2008

    > > Me, too. I also lent it to a friend, who liked it a lot. One day, an old
    > > lady on the metro inquired as to what she was reading. After that, she
    slipped
    > > it into a plain black protective jacket.
    > >
    > > Karin
    > >
    > > At 08:02 PM 03/12/2008, Steve wrote:
    > > >I'd agree with the vote for THE MONEY SHOT.
    > > >
    > > >A damn fine novel. One of my best reads for this year.
    > >

    > I'm currently enjoying it right now, although I will admit my reluctance
    > pull it out and read it on the plane while traveling
    > John Lau

    Try reading HANDGUNS magazine and AMERICAN HANDGUNNER magazine on a plane ride...that'll getcha some odd looks.

    Speaking of which, I was disappointed to see so many gun-related errors in GUN WORK by David Schow. As common as they are in crime/thriller/adventure fiction, I typically let that stuff roll off with a shrug (and a gentle eyeroll), but in a book that purports to be so strongly focused on guns and their design/performance/etc., it was puzzling to see several blatant errors that simple research would have corrected. I give Schow credit for trying...but he fell short in the end. The book itself? Well, it was okay...kinda slow in the second one-third of the tale.

    Ron C.