RARA-AVIS: Re: Hard Case Crime series

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 23 Nov 2008

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, mhall@... wrote:

    > > --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Karin Montin <kmontin@> wrote:
    > > Constantine makes the argument on a very basic principle that makes
    > > sense to him as an author: he considers he is getting screwed!
    > >
    > > Best,
    > >
    > > mrt
    >
    > So, if I sell my car, that means Toyota gets a cut?

    The car, each car, is an object. It is not intellectual property. Each book is an object, too, but "the book" is not an object, it is intellectual property. That's the difference. When you resell your copy of a book, you resell the object, not the rights (which you hadn't bought in the first place).

    Most of the current concepts will be eventually turned upside down in the digital age. I am not sure if it bodes well for writers. They don't have a sweet deal going, so perhaps a new arrangement could work for them. Musicians, on the other hand, have had to resort to the old method of giving concerts, living off of that. Writers don't have that option.

    Best,

    mrt