Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: DONALD GOINES

From: funkmasterj@runbox.com
Date: 23 Nov 2008

    ----- Start Original Message ----- Sent: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 20:46:56 -0000 From: "lewis1574" <stevelewis62@cox.net> To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Subject: RARA-AVIS: Re: DONALD GOINES

    > --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "lewis1574" <stevelewis62@...> wrote:
    > >
    > > Mark
    > >
    > > I'll pass your questions on to Dan Roberts. Don't know if I can
    > > persuade him to sign up for rara-avis, but I'll suggest it to him.
    > >
    > > From what I know, Al Hubin's bibliography CRIME FICTION IV states that
    > > Al C. Clark was a pseudonym of Donald Gaines, and that all of the
    > > books that came out under that name were later reprinted by Holloway
    > > House in 1995-96 under Gaines' own name. (The wikipedia entry for
    > > Gaines agrees that Clark was a pen name of Gaines.)
    > >
    > > Goines died in October 1974. The five Clark books were published in
    > > the two-year period between 1974-75, so if Al is correct, some of
    > > these were published posthumously.
    > >
    > > More later, once I hear back from Dan
    > >
    > > Steve
    > >

    > Me, Steve, again. In reply Dan has gone through all of the books in
    > his collection. Here's what he found, but as he suggests at the end,
    > trying to track down specific information about Holloway House is like
    > trapping a ghost in a bucket.
    >
    > His responses:
    >
    > It appears that three of Goines' five novels published as by Clark
    > were PBOs from Holloway House, but I don't have enough info to
    > definitively state this.
    >
    > I have only one HH Clark title in my possession (BH443 Death List),
    > and the copyright is listed as by Clark (1974) and the book is
    > published by HH in Feb of 1974, when Goines was still alive. It
    > appears to be a PBO. It also refers to "another Holloway House
    > original by Al C. Clark" as Crime Partners (BH445).
    >
    > Kenyatta's Escape (BH460) and Kenyatta's Last Hit (BH471), both
    > published by HH as by Goines, appear not to be PBOs. Indeed, the
    > cover blurb on BH460 refers to the book as being written by Goines
    > under the Clark name, but I can find no evidence that HH first
    > published either Kenyatta title as by Clark.
    >
    > Kenyatta's Escape was published sometime in 1974 (unclear whether
    > before or after he died), Kenyatta's Last Hit was published in 1975,
    > clearly postdating Goines's death. The inside of Kenyatta's Escape
    > (BH460) refers to three titles as being "other Holloway House
    > originals by Clark" (Crime Partners, Death List, and Cry Revenge),
    > outright naming three as PBOs and implying (by use of the word
    > "other") that K's Escape was also published by HH as a PBO.
    >
    > Needless to say, the publishing info supplied by HH was confusing.
    > Goines' remaining 11 novels (I think) were written as by Goines and
    > first published by Holloway House (again, I think), some before his
    > death, others after. It's a certainty that all 16 books were
    > reprinted many times over by HH.
    >
    > In looking through my "work in progress" HH checklist (still with many
    > holes) I find no Iceberg Slim title with "Fox" in it, so I can't be of
    > help there.

    Doom Fox.

    As I mentioned in another post, Beck's daughter alleges he didn't write it:
     In a lawsuit filed last month in Los Angeles County Superior Court, Camille Mary Beck of Los Angeles, the writer&#8217;s eldest daughter, alleges that her sister, Melody Beck, and Robert Beck&#8217;s widow, Diane Millman Beck, conspired to pass off as the real thing a book she says was written by Diane Beck&#8217;s brother.

    She says she filed the suit because she &#8220;wants everyone to know that my father did not write that book.&#8221; The suit also names the book&#8217;s publishers, New York-based Grove/Atlantic and an independent Scottish publishing house, Canongate Books, as well as Faith Childs Literary Agency in New York. http://articles.latimes.com/2001/sep/04/news/cl-41776

    Jordan

    <*> Your email settings:
        Individual Email | Traditional

    <*> To change settings online go to: