Re: RARA-AVIS: SMALL CRIMES AND DRAGON TATTOO

From: Allan Guthrie (allan@allanguthrie.co.uk)
Date: 20 Nov 2008

    Most of them were to do with clarity and simplicity. So, for instance, dialogue attribution can't be ambiguous. Maintaining a consistent point of view throughout each scene was another. Chronological shifts have to be obvious. Mostly standard stuff, no matter who you're writing for. I don't have the list to hand, but I recall that the one which made me think of Patterson was the idea of the 'reward' aspect of brevity: short words, short sentences, short paragraphs, short chapters, all of which go towards making the reader feel more confident and wanting to read more.

    Al

    ----- Original Message ----- From: "Sean Shapiro" <ssshapir@yahoo.com> To: <rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2008 11:24 AM Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: SMALL CRIMES AND DRAGON TATTOO