Re: RARA-AVIS: SMALL CRIMES AND DRAGON TATTOO

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 19 Nov 2008

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Allan Guthrie" <allan@...> wrote:

    > Here's an example of something written in a "relentlessly
    commercial" style.
    > No prizes for guessing where it comes from -- one of the most
    relentlessly
    > commercial novels ever.

    Thank you, Allan... this is classically bad stuff. Sometimes I browse books in the "fiction" section of a bookstore (which excludes hardboiled, excludes us, mind you) and when I see the adjectives and adverbs and the lungeds and the shockinglys and the deprecatinglys and the softly whispereds, I quickly put the book down. It turns me off. It reminds me of infomercials, the lowest known species of writing.

    Best,

    mrt