Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: half-time job for mystery novelist

From: Nathan Cain (IndieCrime@gmail.com)
Date: 19 Nov 2008

    Speaking of academics, literature vs. popular fiction and Umberto Eco, I recently attended a lecture Eco gave at Emory University about his writing process (It was part of a series, but I could only pencil one in). In it, he talked about his books. As you know, his first novel The Name of the Rose was a murder mystery set in a medieval monastery and his second one, Foucalt's Pendulum was a thriller influenced by American detective fiction. During the course of the lecture, Eco made the distinction between "high" and "low" culture, which seemed odd to me, given that he has obviously been influenced very much by "low" culture. It was a passing comment, which he didn't really expand on, but it made me grind my teeth a little. Perhaps he went more into what he considers the distinction between the two to be in one of the other lectures.