RE: RARA-AVIS: Re: half-time job for mystery novelist

From: Lawrence William Coates (coatesl@bgsu.edu)
Date: 19 Nov 2008

    I didn't know this thread was still alive, but I thought I'd mention a book I own called "The Poetics of Murder," an anthology of essays by such academic lights as Jacques Lacan, Umberto Eco, and Roland Barthes. They touch on Sherlock Holmes, Hammett, Chandler, Agatha Christie, et al. So I don't think it's fair to say all academics look down on the fiction this list esteems (though some do, certainly).

    I'm the author of a couple of novels, and I'm currently trying to write a book in the noir tradition. And it's no easier or more difficult than anything else I've written. Writing is writing, and good writing takes work.

    So I'm back to work.

    Lawrence

    Lawrence Coates Associate Professor of Creative Writing Bowling Green State University
    ________________________________________ From: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com [rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Michael Jeter [michael.damian.jeter@gmail.com] Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2008 10:00 AM To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: half-time job for mystery novelist

    And I supppose I should have piped up. While I no longer plan to use it for my thesis -- a thesis in composition and rhetoric proves much more marketable than what would ammount, in many eyes, to another American fiction thesis -- I do plan on writing a book on the detective as father/mentor figure.

    And once I get a full time job, while most of my teaching revolves around the political essay/speech, I will always look for ways to work detective fic into my class.

    --
    Michael Damian Jeter
    New Orleans, LA