RARA-AVIS: Re: Dead Calm

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 19 Nov 2008

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Vorzimmer" <jvorzimmer@...> wrote:

    > I'll second that. The guy never wrote a bad novel. Twenty One worth
    reading.

    > I'm just finishing up Patricia Highsmith's oeuvre and I can't say
    the same
    > about her.

    I find the style of Charles Williams strangely seductive. Patricia Highsmith is also seductive, but in a negative way, whatever that means. I find her magnetically repelling. I dare you to find a worse metaphor than this one (Bellem excepted).

    My favorite Williams is The Hot Spot, a brilliant noir novel. It may be one of the best examples of noir out there.

    Best,

    mrt