"Grimly Existential" as Opposed to "Noir" (Was: Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Noir Comic Bo

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 11 Nov 2008

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Patrick King <abrasax93@...> wrote:

    > I believe "shit happens," but "grace happens" too.

    > This is something that has always bothered me about those dopey
    bumper stickers. When does grace "happen"? Whenever I have had the pleasure of seeing grace it inevitably comes from careful, conscientious training. It is sometimes replete in ones upbringing, but it never just "happens." Shit on the other hand is solid waste and when you gotta go, you gotta go.

    But life is not a work of engineering. Also, to an existentialist, life has no grand purpose. And wouldn't training preclude grace from being perceived? I mean, from your description it would be an output resulting from certain inputs and intermediate processes, all of them consciously planned. Since we are dealing with psychological states, I doubt that the engineering analogy holds water. I think the work of Paul Tillich (from a Christian point of view) is very relevant here, as mentioned by another poster, but this is not the place to discuss it. As to solid waste, the Buddhists embrace it because it is what permits the other part, the good part, to exist. It is inseparable from it.

    What about Marlowe? Is he an existential hero? He is not grim, but I do think he is an existentialist. Sorry to come back to Marlowe, but I don't think we have explored him sufficiently in this list.

    Best,

    mrt