RARA-AVIS: Re: Type Size, Publishing Realities [was: Stark House reprints - whic

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 10 Nov 2008

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Ollerman" <rick@...> wrote:

    > What's bothering me since I read the original post is that the type
    > size in the Stark House books isn't any smaller than most other mass
    > market paperbacks. To my naked eye it appears the same size. I can
    > find books with slightly larger or slightly smaller sizes. You can't
    > realistically condemn Stark House without painting most everyone else
    > with the same brush.
    >
    > What an odd and unfair criticism. For just about any book not written
    > by Robert B. Parker or Dick Francis, you're probably going to be
    > dealing with the same print size. Just wait until you pick up copies
    > of the Gold Medals. Make sure you have your eyeglasses handy.

    A colored sheet to filter out the yellow, too... And old Gold Medals can fall apart. I have used a 45 degree opening and a strong clip along the spine. It works, but it's not very comfortable. If you open those old paperbacks all the way, they will fall apart.

    I have not noticed any problem with Hard Case books. They're as legible as most paperbacks, and they seem structurally sturdier.

    Best,

    mrt