RARA-AVIS: Westerns

From: Juri Nummelin (juri.nummelin@pp.inet.fi)
Date: 05 Nov 2008

    Mr T.,

    I for one like Westerns. I like them snappy, short and hardboiled. Lots of paperback Westerns in the fifties and sixties were exactly that. (I also like writers like Conrad Richter and Walter Van Tilburg Clark. One could argue that Van Tilburg Clark's novels are noir - namely THE TRACK OF THE CAT and THE OX-BOW INCIDENT.)

    Louis L'Amour is one writer I've never cared for. He wrote pretty good action sentences, but his plots lack coherence and his characters are not very well drawn.

    I think we've had discussion on hardboiled Westerns quite many a time. James Reasoner wrote about noir Westerns on his blog and there was an article based on his observations on the Black Horse Westerns site.

    Juri