RARA-AVIS: Re: L'Amour's crime stories

From: cptpipes2000 (cptpipes@hotmail.com)
Date: 04 Nov 2008

     <jacquesdebierue@...> wrote:
    > Do Raravians favor westerns?

    I have enjoyed the Westerns of Loren Estleman, BILLY GASHADE and THE MASTER EXECUTIONER in particular.

    Though I was already a regular reader of Estleman's Amos Walker series, I had not read his Westerns until James Sallis praised them in one of his Boston Globe columns.

    Here is Sallis on BILLY GASHADE: "the story of an itinerant musician that manages to compress most of the history of the Western U.S. into a vivid tapestry."

    And on THE MASTER EXECUTIONER: "novel with the force and terrible gravity of Camus' The Stranger."

    best, Chris