Re: RARA-AVIS: Criminal Writers

From: Allan Guthrie (allan@allanguthrie.co.uk)
Date: 30 Oct 2008

    The novel? I read HERO OF THE UNDERWORLD when it first came out -- ten years ago? -- and thought it was surprisingly good. A SENSE OF FREEDOM is a riveting piece of non-fiction about the brutalizing impact of prison life. PAIN OF CONFINEMENT, also non-fiction, is interesting but from a different angle (rehabilitation).

    Jimmy Boyle, for those who may never have heard of him, is a Scottish gangland figure once described as the most violent man in Scotland. The prison system couldn't cope with him. He received more beatings than Ned Beaumont in the Dog House chapter of THE GLASS KEY. Boyle's one of the success stories of the special unit at Barlinnie Prison, an experimental rehabilitation centre.

    ----- Original Message ----- From: <DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net> Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: Criminal Writers