RE: RARA-AVIS: Death Wish

From: Anders Engwall (anders.engwall@comhem.se)
Date: 25 Oct 2008

    The novel DEATH WISH is a very different story from the movie(s). It's not at all that kind of dumb vengeance fantasy. Recommended.

    I have DEATH SENTENCE on my TBR pile, I guess I should check it out soon. Could it really be that bad? In general, I like Garfield.

    From: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com [mailto:rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Nathan Cain Sent: den 26 oktober 2008 00:15 To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: Death Wish

    I tried reading Death Sentence, the sequel to Death Wish, and I've got to say, I only made it about forty pages in before I had to give it up. It was terrible. Garfield's writing was clumsy, the main character was a real piece of shit, and people said ridiculous things like "Someone born in Chicago has more are more likely to be killed than a soldier in WWII," without any hint of irony. I mean, the 70's were a time of urban decay, but more likely to get shot than a soldier in a World War? Seriously? I found the whole exercise to be labored, simple minded and unpleasant. I figured the movies were just a reflection of the crappy story set up by Garfield.