RARA-AVIS: Re:Apply Now: Banff International Literary Translation Centre

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 24 Oct 2008

    The problem with Shakespeare is that it's archaic language. If you get into it, you will probably love it. On the other hand, if kids can't get into the language, it's a lost cause. He wrote what he wrote.

    I have found that there are people who can't get into the hardboiled language, for example. It pains me to say so, but some people are repelled by it, or it doesn't "sound" in their heads. We fans think the straighforward, cut-to-the-chase way of telling is optimal (in some sense) but you should hear what non-fans say about it...

    Best,

    mrt