Re: RARA-AVIS: Re:Apply Now: Banff International Literary Translation Centre

From: Brian Thornton (bthorntonwriter@gmail.com)
Date: 24 Oct 2008

    Mark-

    What's wrong with debates? As long as it's kept civil, I see no reason not to dispute someone else's notions if you disagree with them and are able to back up your points.

    I'm a bit unclear on the following statement, though. You said:

    "As a trained English teacher, I think you underestimate the difficulties that Elizabethan language can pose for those who haven't had sustained educational exposure to it."

    Was that a logical appeal to authority: You speaking as a trained English teacher, or were you stating that you thought that I, as a trained English teacher, was underestimating the difficulties intrinsic within the texts of Shakespeare's stuff for the newcomer?

    I'm assuming that it's the former.

    The reason for the lack of clarity?

    I, too am a trained English teacher.

    I'll go you one further: for the past ten years I have taught Shakespeare during the summer, every summer, to summer school students taking credit retrieval courses. If I have sophomores, we read MACBETH. If I have juniors/seniors, we read HAMLET.

    I don't know how long it's been since you taught summer school, but I can assure you that most of the kids taking those classes (God love 'em!) aren't headed for Harvard.

    And yet I have never, EVER had a problem drawing them in to these plays
    (used MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM a couple of times as well). We assign parts, read an act together (with me giving explanation as needed), then watch a good film version of the play in question (I always recommend that they follow along in their books as they watch the play, which is an aid, but not the same thing as modern language subtitles).

    In the case of MACBETH, it's the 1978 BBC version with Ian McKellen
    (pre-Magneto and Gandalf fame) and Dame Judy Dench (pre-M in James Bond films fame) in the two lead roles, and within its staging limitations, it's spectacular. The scene where McKellen as Macbeth sees Banquo's ghost (there is no actor in the scene playing Banquo's ghost) and reacts as anyone
    "seeing a ghost" would, amidst the reasonable stares and mystification his behavior draws from the others at dinner with him is particularly effective.

    In the case of HAMLET, I show them Kenneth Branagh's version. He might not be the best screen Hamlet ever (that honor in my book goes to Nicol Williamson), but Branagh is a terrific actor, a shrewd judge of when scenes need to be cut with non-dialogue scenes that illustrate some off-screen action that the actor in question might be relating to his fellow players
    (and to the audience), is a good director and particularly effective at surrounding himself with superb actors not afraid to illustrate the subjects of their speeches with appropriate actual acting, rather than standing around and declaiming their lines.

    A bit of disclosure, here. English is actually my secondary area of endorsement. I have a Master's in history, and that's what I teach most of the time these days. But I cut my teaching teeth on English, and taught it full-time for years before I found a history gig.

    During the time I taught English I met an awful lot of other English teachers who didn't like teaching Shakespeare, and seemed outright intimidated by it. Many of them vastly prefrerred teaching HUCKLEBERRY FINN
    (another superb piece of writing) or grammar assignments. It occurred to me more than once that many of these teachers were simply intimidated by the language (not saying that about you, Mark, just an observation), and it wasn't so much that they didn't like teaching *Shakespeare* as that they didn't like teaching something about which they knew next to nothing. I understand that. I consider math to be a *very* difficult subject to teach, because I'm only just conversant in it, as opposed to expert in its operation.

    I consider myself lucky that one of my two fields of specialization for my MA was Tudor/Stuart English history, and I think that really helps to inform my teaching of Shakespeare to teenagers. I further admit to being something of a Shakespeare geek (and my hat's off to you regarding Julie Taymor's TITUS. I found it arty, pretentious, impossible to follow and utterly without merit, as opposed to her brilliant staging of THE LION KING on Broadway, which I found captivating), so I suspect that some of my enthusiasm on the subject is infectious (they love when I explain the dirty jokes to them. That's how you suck them in to start with).

    So while I wouldn't say it's "easy" to "get" Shakespeare at first, or that it's "easy" to peddle it to teenagers who can't be bothered to do homework during the school year, let alone during the summers, I would say that it's a highly worthwhile endeavor.

    And if the pack of lovable "characters" I've had troop through my classes over the years could be brought to an appreciation of the Bard, anyone can.

    All the Best-

    Brian