RARA-AVIS: Re:Apply Now: Banff International Literary Translation Centre

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 24 Oct 2008

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Thornton"
    <bthorntonwriter@...> wrote:

    > I could not disagree more on the part about watching Shakespeare with
    > subtitles.

    But some people simply don't understand what is being said... they can't help it. Or somebody might understand, say, Gielgud but not some other actor playing the same part.

    And getting back to our subject matter, I am fascinated by the enormous homegrown vocabulary of Australian English. A few years ago I bought myself a big dictionary with thousands upon thousands of words and meanings I couldn't possibly have guessed. It has helped me with Australian novels.

    But while reading stuff that is English, there is something else that can put one off, namely, the style. Not long ago I reread Josephine Tey's The Man in the Queue (1929), her first mystery, and I found myself slightly vexed by the prolixity. Very interesting story, in fact more so than I remembered, but at times the telling vexed me. There are also some blatantly racist remarks, common in that era. I think that this novel could be updated and made into an excellent contemporary noir movie. It has the right bones.

    Best,

    mrt