Re: RARA-AVIS: Re:Apply Now: Banff International Literary Translation Centre

From: Mark R. Harris (brokerharris@gmail.com)
Date: 24 Oct 2008

    I promised myself not to be drawn into debates, but I'll say this: I don't see what you lose with the subtitles. You just gain clarity in case you mis-hear a word or phrase. (Since you mention Titus Andronicus -- Julie Taymor's Titus is especially good to watch with subtitles. That is a vastly under-rated play! And talk about hard-boiled/noir...)

    As a trained English teacher, I think you underestimate the difficulties that Elizabethan language can pose for those who haven't had sustained educational exposure to it. I've taught Shakespeare; it is tough.

    Mark

    Mark R. Harris
    2122 W. Russet Court #8
    Appleton WI 54914