Re: RARA-AVIS: Re:Apply Now: Banff International Literary Translation Centre

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 24 Oct 2008

    Mario,

    I can corroborate the subtitling on BBC America. A friend was watching the British original of a new US show (Life on Mars? Eleventh Hour? forget which) and it was subtitled. On a related note, Mad Max was completely redubbed for its intial US release.

    I find myself accosting people with British accents to translate slang when I'm reading a English books, even more with Scottish ones, especially with Irvine Welch and/or James Kelman, but I usually get the overall meaning.

    Mark