Re: RARA-AVIS: Detective Book Club - Walter J. Black

From: Jonathan G. Jensen (jcentaur@yahoo.com)
Date: 23 Oct 2008

    Out from lurking here, wasn't there a Crime Club bunch of books too?  Seem to remember them from a antique store near Eugene Or. Passed on them at the time, may still check back someday (probably be gone I know).  I saw these advertised in a pulp somewhere, anybody see this?  Jonathan

    --- On Wed, 10/22/08, Terry Sanford <mbtbone@yahoo.com> wrote: From: Terry Sanford <mbtbone@yahoo.com> Subject: RARA-AVIS: Detective Book Club - Walter J. Black To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Date: Wednesday, October 22, 2008, 2:23 PM

                Black began publishing single, then double and finally, triple book club volumes in the 1950's. Erle Stanley Gardner was a mainstay for many years. The bodks also had dust jackets over brown cloth initially. The series continued well into the 1990's. The "hook" to get you started with them was five volumes (15 books in all!) for a buck with no obligation to buy more. If you didn't send that card back to them, then one was mailed to you every month.There are, of course, people who collect these. I once saw a complete collection which was housed in a 20' by 60" room although she did collect other books as well. I didn't get a number of them since I had no interest in them. There were a handful of books published by them in this format which were true first editions, the first published appearance of said book. I know one of Roy Vicker's novels fell in this category along with a collection of Matt Taylor's humorous detective stories from Good
     Housekeeping

     Magazine! Yes the same guy who wrote the tough Neon novels with his wife in the 1980's.Cheap reads when you can them these days.Terry Sanford